The Home Adaptations for Seniors’ Independence (HASI) program offers financial assistance for minor home adaptations that will help low-income seniors to perform daily activities in their home independently and safely.
Who Can Apply?
Homeowners and landlords may qualify for assistance if:
- The occupant is 65 years of age or over and has difficulty with daily living activities due to loss of ability brought on by aging.
- The total household income is at or below the program income limit for the area.
- The home is a permanent residence.
Adaptations should be minor items related to loss of ability. The adaptations must:
- Be permanently installed or fixed to the dwelling.
- Improve access to basic facilities within the home.
- Increase the physical safety for the resident. Examples of eligible adaptations are handrails in hallways, easy-to-reach work and storage areas in the kitchen, lever handles on doors and grab bars in the bathroom.
Supportive care and portable aids, such as walkers and household appliances, are not eligible. Repairs, alterations or adaptations not related to the resident’s loss of ability are not eligible under this program.
Work carried out before the HASI application has been approved in writing by CMHC is not eligible.
Financial assistance is available in the form of a forgivable loan of up to $3,500. The loan does not have to be repaid provided the homeowner agrees to continue to live in the home for six months (the loan forgiveness period). Where assistance is provided for adaptations for a rental unit, the landlord must agree not to increase the rents as a result of the adaptations.
Access the Renovation Programs Pre-Application Tool for more information specific to your geographic area.
Other Assistance Available:
If extensive modifications are required to improve accessibility, such as wider doorways and increased space for wheelchair manoeuvring, you may be eligible for financial assistance through the Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program for Persons with Disabilities. CMHC also offers financial assistance to create secondary or garden suite for low-income seniors or adults with a disability.
Frequently Asked Questions related to this program.
CMHC - Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
1-800-668-2642 - Toll Free
click here for CMHC Website
Motion Specialties Corporate Office
Toll Free Phone: 1-888-222-2172
Corporate Address: 1925 Leslie Street, Toronto, Ontario, M3B 2M3